Nature and that.

Tum-tee-tum I've been running around in the countryside again. Rye and environs mostly with my friends The Foodies.
I boot faired a lot, and here is my star purchase: it was made by a retiree and you have until the end of the post to guess what it is.
The main event was a nice big walk - not long but with plenty of ponderous poking about in the grass to pad it out.
Did you know that these little plants smell just like pineapple when squished? I didn't.
I collected a lot of swans feathers that I think I will make quill pens out of, maybe for Saturday Drawing.
And we found this pike carcass, I couldn't believe the teeth in the brutes gob.
A row of teeth like a dogs but more needly on the bottom, then a whole swathe of hooked bastards along the top. I saw a pike in the canal the other day, just hanging out very still in shallow water, with that arsenal it's no wonder he wasn't trying to hide
Spiders bum . . .
Two headed sheep . . . 
Puffball.
Then . . . a field mushroom. Edible and big.
What a beauty.
Then we noticed that they were everywhere and got picking. Hoot hoot! I've never actually been able to spot the rings that mushrooms grow in before but I can now, there's one in the top half of this photo with a cluster of mushrooms on it's right hand side. Can you see it?
Ben was starting to look like a real nature boy with all our bits poking out of his bag.
We went barmy and picked loads. Last time I went mushrooming I was with a bunch of dickhead teenagers pretending to know more than they did about magic mushrooms and we didn't find a thing (I was myself a dickhead teenager at the time I should add). This time was much more exciting.

We sat down in the evening and sorted them all out.

So beautiful,
sticky spore fingers.
We dried a lot of them.
Whilst we were being all idyllic and wholesome a local farmer pulled up on his tractor outside and went into the kebab shop for his dinner. The countryside is wasted on some people.
The next day, after all the walking and mushroom excitement we had a gentle pootle around the allotment.



And saw some slow-worms. Slow-worms aren't worms or snakes but lizards. And I happen to know they give birth to live young. I know this because Karen picked one up and it's waters broke all over her and a little baby slow-worm half poked out near it's bum! I felt a bit guilty: it's not the birth I'd choose if I were to have kids but never mind.
All in all it was a splendid trip, educational and with excellent food for free, hurray!

. . . now here's your answer, if you got it right have a biscuit.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello