Toot le Monde

I have a Toot post for you this week even though I won't actually be doing the market. I'll be working with one of my favourite artists instead, so that's nice, and I shall tell you how that goes another time. But my week does seem eerily calm without a market day in the middle of it and the Toot is piling up around my toes.PhotobucketSome African beads - the necklace is my favourite, it's real big and chunky.Photobucket PhotobucketA little beaded purse.PhotobucketA pewter flask. I keep buying pewter these days, I think it's the colour and that it gets beaten up so nice.PhotobucketA A sweety jar with a bobble.PhotobucketA Swedish horse, I like them Swedish horses.PhotobucketA handsome woven plastic mat, when I say handsome I mean that it's got yellow on it. I'm a sucker for yellow.PhotobucketA fish trap, though maybe it isn't a fish trap - I can't decide.PhotobucketAnd two beautiful big platters, perfect for Christmas. They nearly weren't mine because I bought them and left them under a van a fortnight ago, what a dunce. Luckily a nice chum rescued them for me and I finally got to take them home this week.
In the middle of each plate it says - 'Deptford Ragged School', which I love - it sounds very gangly and Dickensian. There's not much on the web about the Ragged School but I reckon I'll poke around a bit and try and find some more.PhotobucketIn other news. A nice chap called Brian gave me a pat down at the market . . . I told him to F**k Off and that that was harassment in the workplace. He laughed: 'ha, ha, ha'.
And then at the car boot (where he also works) he let me in for free, at peak time too - when it's normally a fiver. I thought it was his way of saying sorry for his poor conduct but, with hindsight, I suspect that in his mind it was a reciprocal act - a pat down for free car boot. Dammit! He got a bargain there.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, all the beads are tiny and wooden and the paint on them is just the right amount distressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Since 2019 I’ve been running the Deptford Ragged School
    Archive, a community heritage organisation in Deptford. I’d love to hear more about the two plates above. I’d love you to get in touch katharine@deptfordraggedschoolarchive.org.uk. We also have website.
    Thanks so much
    Katharine

    ReplyDelete

Hello