Avebury stones

This week on the way back from Jack's folks we paid a visit to Avebury stones, the sun was out a little at times and at other times it was raining sideways.
Photobucket
This year I planned to go to some kind of standing stone for the winter solstice but I didn't make it. There were all sorts of signs of druidy happenings around these trees, wish I'd come to see them - next year.
Avebury stone circle
Found ladybirds huddled together in one stone - which made me squeal a bit like a two year old.
Hibernating ladybirds
And spent a lot of time admiring lichen. What's your favourite lichen Jo!? I hear you cry. Well, it's this one, quite beautiful with its outlines and fault lines but very understated. It's a crustose lichen and it will be so tightly grafted to it's sticking place that you couldn't remove it without damaging the stone - thank you lichen.com we've all learnt something new today.
lichen
It's new years tonight and I'm trying to maintain enthusiasm for the mucky warehouse party I'm all signed up for. Gosh.
I hope you have a lovely one whatever you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello