England in January

Today was brooding and crisp and we went to the Isle of Sheppey. I don't know who first described being in this country as 'like living in a Tupperware box' but it is very true.
Photobucket
I like the bleakness of this time of year; you can only really appreciate it in a flat windy landscape. Makes me think of Graham Swift's Waterland.



Photobucket
We went on a long ponderous walk. I made a video of Jack walking on the beach.
Photobucket
There's a lot of bird spotting on Sheppey
Photobucket
We spoke to a warden at the nature reserve who pointed out some geese who had flown in from Russia for the winter - he also, as it turned out, had been watching us through his binoculars whilst we paddled about in the marshes.
Photobucket
Aside from walking we also paid a visit to the islands own concrete garden ornament manufacturer, what a treat.
Photobucket
I couldn't believe the magic that lurked around very corner.
Photobucket
There were people walking around with industrial strength trollies buying up many ornaments at a time, they were incredibly cheap and I was a little bit tempted . . .
Photobucket
 . . . then I just found myself buying a concrete hedgehog as Jack looked on in disbelief. I reckon they mist some sort of intoxicant at you as you walk in. No photo of the hog yet - he'll nuzzle amongst my house plants and I'll show you soon.
Photobucket
A very fine day.

4 comments:

  1. it certainly seems it was one! what a treat!
    and the pictures made me wanna be there...
    its the sea. always the sea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed, even a steely grey sea - you can't beat it

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear Joe I love your blog - it's very beautiful and very entertaining. I hope I see you again soon. Love Ben xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben you are too kind. It would be really good to see you soon. Lots of love to you and your clan. X

      Delete

Hello